Thursday, November 22, 2007

Texas!

After a 13 hour drive, I made it to Texas. Like I've said here (or maybe elsewhere, I'm tired and really can't remember), I feel quite comfortable in Texas. I'm not real sure why, other than I've always had pleasant experiences when I've visited here. It reminds me a lot of the Atlanta area, just much much more spread out.

I've done a good bit of traveling this year, judging in many different parts of the country. I've been to Washington State, California, and Connecticut. I was in New York last weekend and all over the Southeast. I've felt a bit displaced everywhere I've gone this year except for home. Texas is always an exception to this discomfort. Ever since the first time I came through a few years ago, I've always felt that this was a place I could belong. Not many places in the country I can say that about.

Unfortunately, I am by myself here this trip. I agreed to judge a while back with the anticipation that we'd hook up with R's brother and sister-in-law and their kids. That didn't pan out this time. Add to that the weather forecast for Forth Worth, the fact that we have a 10 week old puppy in tow and we figured our best plan for the weekend would be for me to drive out with the older Whippets and for R to stay home with Carmela and catch up on some of her orders. So here I am on Thanksgiving, by myself in a LaQuinta in Denton, TX. I did get to have Turkey and all at Cracker Barrel up the road a bit, and I got to see R for a bit this morning, so Thanksgiving isn't at all a washout.

I'm really looking forward to judging my third Regional Invitational this year on Saturday. I'll be with a pretty good group of people here, Teri and Jack, Dana and many others. I'm not looking forward to the possibility of working the trial in the cold rain that's forecast for the weekend!

Y'all have a great weekend and stay dry!


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: