Tuesday, November 21, 2006

SLASH

Last weekend Ruthanna and I made the trip to St. Louis for the SLASH field trials. Thanks to Karen Frederick and all the folks from SLASH for having me up to judge. It was a great time!

The boys did really well! Everett went BoB both days over 20 Whippets. Lobo took 4th both days. The run of the weekend for me was Lobo's final run on Saturday. After having a not so great prelims run, Lobo went out and nailed the course in finals, getting the highest score for any course for the day. Way to go Little Buddy!

The field at Purina is really nice with a lot of terrain, making it challenging for the dogs. They really had to pay attention in order to do well.

I really enjoy getting to go to other parts of the country to see how our dogs compare with dogs we don't see all the time. Region 7 is usually a hotbed of Whippets, but there are still plenty of really good dogs in other parts of the country and it's good to see what else is out there. I think Everett really earned the BoB's he got this weekend and defeated some really nice running dogs.

4 comments:

The Raven said...

Congrats!! I have never run at Purina, thought of going last spring but with Al coming off a complete muscle tear, she needed to start on the flat soccer field type places.

Are you coming up here for the II?? I am kind of scared with it being at Farmington, I don't see any challenges there, and all the local dogs cheat. I am not planning on my guys doing much of anything. We'll have real bathrooms though, and a barn to eat in!!;)

Todd said...

Purina is a nice place to run. The undulations in the field really make the dogs pay attention. If they don't, they're out.

Not sure about the II yet. We're looking at the ASFA National Greyhound Specialty (Oklahoma) and the Whippet Nationals (Kansas) in the Spring.

Right now we're concentrating on the rest of this year. This weekend is the Regional, ACC (Tallahassee, FL) the next weekend and then end of the year.

The Raven said...

I thought of doing the Triathlon at the National with Al & Guido, but it's only one day of coursing, and a long drive for just that 1 day. I am so burned out right now with this II stuff, I don't even want to think about next year. I'm just glad Al got through this year without issue; she is just 56 points shy of LCM4, I couldn't ask for more from a dog who didn't even start the season until July, and almost got two LCM's:)

Todd said...

The Whippet Nats is a good event for lots o' whippets. Everett's sister won it a few years ago when it was in North Carolina. It is a long way to drive (16 hrs for us), but worth it I think.

I've been involved in hosting an II. It's exhausting, but in the end I'd do it again. Just keep in mind that in 7 months it'll all be over and if you've done your job well you'll have put on a hell of a show and maybe made some $$$$ to boot!